I think coming from a micro-oriented practitioner mindset, it can be difficult to take a step back and examine things through a macro lens. With that being said, I also find it extremely difficult to view any thing, one, or concept in a vacuum. I feel that the mico problems that individuals face are often set forth by bigger meso and macro super-structures that reinforce and often create these paradigms in which people must exist.
When it comes to doing anti-oppression work, I think it's extremely important to look at external historical, economic, cultural, and environmental factors as contributing to a whole subjective reality that one might experience. I found a little cartoon that I think is a good representation of how change over time at the macro level can deeply influence the course of an individual's life
Observation
I met a nice man at the coffee shop today while writing my blog post. He said he chose to sit next to me because I wan't wearing headphones and looked open to human interaction. It made me think of students on campus and how seemingly they are disconnected from society with the aid of technology.

I really agree with you about how hard it can be to take a step back from viewing things at a micro level. Things in the meso level effect the individual and the things is the exo level effect the things is the meso level and the individual as well. Which leaves us with the macro level which effects every for the individual. It reminds me of the circle of life and how someone can effect on another person. I am still getting acquainted with how things work on the macro level how these policies can indirectly still oppress individuals.
ReplyDeleteI can completely relate as well. The policy class that I am in right now really helps put things in a macro perspective and more relate-able. Hopefully others have the same experience with that class as I've had so far!
ReplyDeleteI definitely notice how disconnected I can be on campus or studying in a coffee shop. I think we could all benefit from disconnecting from our technology every once in a while and feel comfortable being on our own.
ReplyDelete