Saturday, October 5, 2013

Affordable Housing in Austin (#5)

Affordable housing is a phrase that keeps popping up in Austin.  I've been exposed to this concept at my volunteer agency as well as in classroom discussion.  I've been responsible for researching the climbing rental prices in Austin and I wanted to see if I could find a comprehensive definition to illuminate this phrase of intrigue.  What is affordable housing and why should this be a concern for Austin?

Technically, an affordable housing stance asserts that rental costs should be no more than 1/3 of a resident's income.  Since transportation costs are also factored into cost of living, this complicates things further.  As you may have noticed, Austin is a very spread out, sprawling city, so transportation costs for individuals can become quite high.  The median income in Austin hasn't risen to meet the cost of inflation since 2000!  That is 13 years of rising costs, but no rising income to foot the bill.  The lack of balance found in this equation is what is leaving many families in Austin without access the affordable housing.

I will be researching this issue more throughout the semester and I will be presenting an action plan with a group to really examine the factors at play in this seemingly political issue.  We will be looking at what local agencies are helping the affordable housing bubble and what local policies are hurting the market.  We will also look at societal perceptions of access to housing and the population that is hurts, like low-income families, veterans, and seniors.

Here are a few local agencies calling for city action:

IMAGINE-Affordable Housing   
Keep ATX Affordable

                                                              Observation
I still have yet to see any advertising about the Imagine Austin campaign.  I'm finding it to be useful in my group project, but still curious as to why Austin at large isn't being exposed to the city planning.

2 comments:

  1. I just heard about this Affordable Housing Plan in Austin and was thinking about writing my blog about this next week lol. I am curious as to how this plan will work and its very surprising that Austin hasn't risen the median income to reach inflation. Austin is a growing city and many things will have to change to accommodate Austin's community. I also have yet to see anything about Imagine Austin campaign. I have asked my friends if they heard about this and they haven't. If it wasn't for Professor Rhodes showing this to us in class and talking about, I would not even have a clue about it myself. If this is a big campaign that is going to improve Austin why not educate your community about what will be changing? I totally agree with your curiosity about this too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is nice to see that you not only have concern about affordable housing in Austin, but that you will also continue to research the issue throughout the semester. Being informed is the first step in trying to make a change. This is especially interesting to me, and I am sure our classmates, since most of us are living here while we go to school.

    ReplyDelete