Saturday, October 26, 2013

The Revolution Starts with Awareness (#8)

Some of you may know Russell Brand from his acting exploits or his marriage to Katy Perry, but he has recently been on my radar for a different reason.  For his radical and exciting new ways of thinking.  I ran across this article in my Facebook feed and I thought I would share it: "Russel Brand may have started a revolution"

This video is inspiring and moving.  Brand challenges the narrow parameters in which political decision are made and the populations they serve, and at the same time, ignore.  He talks about voting apathy in a new way - the disenfranchised feeling of the system not working for the lower class.  He feels like the system doesn't currently address these issues - why would people participate in a broken system that doesn't meet their needs?

He is calling for change - for a radical overhaul.  He asserts that awareness of these issues - environmental degradation, disparity of wealth, and the broken democratic system, is a place to start.  How is it radical to challenge a system that doesn't currently meet the needs of all?  He faces criticism for not applying solutions, but I think bring awareness is the first step.  Plus, he does offer some great solutions, like heavy taxation on corporations and lifting subsidies and redistributing wealth on a massive scale.

Further in the video, Brand talks about engagement.  He talks about engaging in these emotions that highlight the injustices and wrong-doing in the world.  I think his passion, honest critiques, and idea of oneness are where the revolution will begin.  If you are interested in some of his musing on spirituality, here is another great video.  I think Russel Brand is my new spiritual and political leader

Don't be scared off by Alex Jones. Russell speaks some truth.
Happiness through serving others. Kinda cheesy at some parts.

Brand is also a spokesperson for the power of yoga and mediation in battling addiction.  It has helped him overcome addiction problems and stay clean.  He also talks about decriminalizing drug-offenses.  Here are two videos about that:
Addiction Treatment and Decriminalization
Yoga as prevention/treatment/intervention

                                                                     Observation
I get frustrated sometimes by a perceived lack of engagement from my cohort, but I had to take a step back and realize everyone is coming from a different place and there may be unknown reasons why participation is limited by each individual.  I'm trying to be mindful and respectful of that.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I just watched the video that you posted above and I've got to say I'm impressed. I wouldn't have thought that Russel Brand cared about those issues so passionately or could speak so eloquently about them (I guess that goes to show some of my preconceived notions regarding famous people). Though some of what he is saying is radical, it may be the case that a radical overhaul of the current system is the only thing that will bring about substantial change.

    ReplyDelete