Friday, November 29, 2013

Black Friday - Insane Deals or Just Insane?

I have to weigh in on this Black Friday nonsense that is boiling up all over the country. I have already seen numerous videos of people stampeding and being trampled and fights breaking out over the chance to get discounted electronics. See here and here. It is a sad day when this is what American holiday celebration is all about.

What does this all mean for a country that prides itself on excess consumption and material acquisition? Especially in the wake of a holiday that is steeped in genocide and colonialism?  Does it mean that after we all sit around saying what we're thankful for, we immediately need to go out and spend money on material things?

The new thing now is not even waiting until the day after Thanksgiving to shop, but now big corporate retailers are opening up the night before, further fueling the consumption-driven American holidays.  People are forced to be away from their families to serve the needs of the public - but does the public really want it or is this a carefully orchestrated supply and demand hoax creating an unfettered need and want for cheap consumer goods?

I think about who is being marketed to in these seemingly insane deals and cheap prices.  I think they are marketing to middle-class and working poor people who see big discounts and feel that this is the only way they'll be able to afford and provide a decent holiday to their loved ones.  I know my mom is utilizing this day because she makes minimum wage and wants to be able to get gifts for everyone at a good price.  But is it really worth it?  Is this the philosophy we want to encourage - that the holidays are about receiving big-box deals at times that we should be spending with our families anyway?  It's a tricky situation and I wonder if in the end its serving a good purpose at all.

                                                                   Observation    
Big retailer Wal-Mart is asking its employees to donate to other Wal-Mart employees for the holidays.  This implies that the wages are so low at Wal-Mart that employees will need charity to make their holidays bright.  Maybe they should just raise wages?  

9 comments:

  1. Hey Meg, I think you're correct in the latter. It is insane!! The part about Wal-Mart asking their employees to donate for the well-being of their fellow employees is beyond belief. It's beyond shameful that the second largest corporation in the world will not take care of their own employees. Somebody, somewhere, got away with all of the good sense and compassion. Now we are left with brainless balls of greed and I am terrified for humanity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've discussed this before, and I still vote insane! I had to work black friday, and I thought that meant coming in on black friday. Black Friday and the day of thanks have now merged into one 48 hour period of extreme greed and mild thankfulness. I understand why people shop on BF, but damn BF is like the closest thing to the Hunger Games we have right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to go shopping on Black Friday until I saw how insane things got. It is really said to see people fighting over things that they could get at any time. I also feel that the prices are not that different from the other sales that the stores have. I also agree that Black Friday is marketed towards lower and middle class people because this is when they think they are receiving the best deals. I wonder what will happen if they took Black Friday away, how would people react then?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that Black Friday epitomizes our consumer culture. Our culture feeds us that we always need more, we always need the best new thing. It is something our culture celebrates on more then just this single day, but this is the one where more people happen to act upon what has been engrained in us from the beginning. But yes, it is a sad sad thing that it has taken over the day in which we are supposed to recognize the beauty in what we already have, whether that be family or simply food to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think black friday is stupid, the deals aren't that great unless you're wanting to buy a big piece of technology. Otherwise it's probably just a way to get trampled to death. On the topic of Thanksgiving, I love getting together to see my family and I think its awesome. If only it were that simple it'd be perfect but it is based on a history of genocide. So to add to your argument against Thanksgiving there's also the mass slaughtering of turkeys. MASSIVE! Think about it! All the energy and waste it creates. And also is it not a little weird we put bread in turkey butts to eat?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its embarrassing how greedy our country is! Compared to the rest of the world we really have sooo much but it's never enough! And Nick is right, it's not even one day anymore, almost the whole thanksgiving break is dedicated to frivolous spending.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Talia, and everyone who commented really. The holidays as a whole have changed from something meaningful to a time of the year that people charge up their cards and spend the rest of the year paying them off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate Black Friday! I think it is crazy that we are willing to do insane things for a deal. I often say that most of the junk we buy will end up in garage sales anyways. When I worked in retail I used to have people who would say to me "I cant believe you have to work today. That is just terrible." And then hand me their credit card.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Black friday is so overwhelming - not just in the masses of people who throng to the malls and shopping centers, but in the negative emotions that go along with it. Can't we forget consumerism for just one day - just one full 24 hours?

    ReplyDelete